UVC FIRST PRIORITY IS “VETERANS EMPLOYMENT”;
“Veterans Employment. Veterans are to have access to and preference for rewarding jobs. ” Promote through:
1. Employers’ awareness of severe under-employment of the Veteran population.
2. Employers’ appreciation of the myriad attributes of Veterans that increase success in the workplace.
3. Increasing the reach & effectiveness of career preparations and of job placement services.
4. Advancing Government incentives for employing Veterans.
San Diego Employment & Assistance for Veterans and Their Families
Preparing to leave the military service and searching for employment shortly after the military brings unique challenges. The United Veterans Council has spotlighted a few of the reassures on these pages. We have provided a few of the best resources to help you transition from the military and some of the most supportive employers in the county.
Veteran friendly job and career fairs information will be posted here when the source is validated.
Need one-on-one assistance?
If you are still active duty, a reservist, a retiree or recently released from the military service, your best resources are the Navy’s Fleet & Family Support Centers (FFSC) and the Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS). Any service person can use any of the military services family support organizations, and you can even use one that is closest to your home.
These services are free and provide you one-on-one personal assistance. The San Diego area FFSCs also offer free workshops. Check out their schedules and give them a call.
Hints & Tips for transition to the civilian sector.
Navigating the Path to Full Employment — Without a Bowditch. (Although developed by the author for Retiring Chief Petty Officers the information is very relevant for most veterans moving to the private sector.)
Are you active duty or a veteran looking for self-help tools to connect and access the information to meet your needs when you are ready?
Check out TurboTAP (Note: If you are typing in the URL make sure to use .org suffix !)
Military Connection - government jobs, military schools, federal jobs, military loans, and military pay.
Local Employment Assistance
The United Veterans Council, Veterans Employment Committee, San Diego Workforce Partnership, the San Diego Employer Advisory Council, the Union-Tribune Publishing Company, and the Employment Development Department are partnering to bring businesses, veterans and qualified job seekers together for a successful recruitment.
We’d like to offer a special thanks to the all of the organizations, listed below, that supported past Veterans Job and Resource Fairs. If you are a veteran looking for a job in the San Diego area – these are the companies to research first!
- Able/Disabled Advocacy
- Ace Parking Management, Inc
- Advanced Test Equipment Rentals
- AGC Apprenticeship Trust
- Allied Barton Security Services
- American Legion
- AMSEC LLC
- BAE Systems
- Bennett Academy
- Blinded Veterans Association
- Boart Longyear
- Cal State San Marcos
- California Career School
- California Troops to Teachers
- Career Center Network/Workforce Partnership
- Casa De Las Campanas
- CDVA – Farm and Home Loan Division
- CDVA – Veterans Homes Division
- CDVA – Veterans Service Division
- City of San Diego
- Club Vet
- Coastline Community College
- County Veterans Service Office, San Diego County
- Countywide Mechanical Systems
- Cox Communications
- Cuyamaca College
- Dealer Transport Inc.
- Defense Support Services (DS2)
- Department of Navy
- Disabled American Veterans
- Elite Show Services
- Employment Development Department (EDD)
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel and Spa
- Fedex Home delivery
- Frazee Paint
- General Dynamics – NASSCO
- Goodwill Industries of San Diego
- Grossmont – Cuyamaca Community College District
- Grossmont Union High School District
- Helix Water District
- Hire A Hero
- Hire Patriots - Need a part time job? Need a one day job for some extra money? Check out Hire Patriots!
- Home Depot
- Interfaith Community Services
- JC Towing – (619) 429-1492
- Job Options Inc.
- Knox Attorney Service
- Kragen Auto/CSK Auto Inc.
- La Mesa-Spring Valley School District
- Lloyd Pest Control
- Lockheed Martin
- Los Angeles Port Police Dept.
- Manpower of San Diego
- Marriott International
- MCRD Museum Historical Society
- Mental Health Systems Inc.
- MRO Warehouse
- National Guard
- National University
- NAVFAC SOUTHWEST
- Navy Recruiting Command
- Palomar College
- Pre-Paid LegalServices, Inc.
- Radio Shack Corporation
- Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego
- San Diego Community College (Note: Use this resource to upgrade or learn new skills for free through the Continuing Ed classes. They offer an extensive curriculum in computer skills at the North City Campus on Aero Drive.)
- San Diego County Regional Airport Authority
- San Diego County Water Authority
- San Diego Employer Advisory Council
- San Diego Mesa College
- San Diego National Bank
- San Diego County Sheriff’s Department
- San Diego State University(SDSU)
- San Diego Vet Center (619)-294-2040
- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC)
- SeaWorld Adventure Park San Diego
- Silver State Helicopters
- SMS Technologies
- Society for Financial Awareness (SOFA)
- Southwestern College
- Space and Naval Warfare Systems SPAWAR
- State of California – Apprenticeship
- Strategic Operations
- Sycuan Casino
- Technical Professional Career College
- TOPS Staffing/TOPS Technical
- TriWest Healthcare Alliance
- Transportation Security Administration – TSA
- Troop Transition
- UCSD Medical Center
- Union Pacific
- Union-Tribune Publishing Company
- United Veterans Council
- Veterans Museum and Memorial Center
- University of California, San Diego
- US Customs and Border Protection
- VA Regional Office San Diego
- VA San Diego Healthcare System
- Veterans Employment Committee of San Diego County
- Veterans Village of San Diego
- Werner Enterprises
- Western Truck School
- Wilmington Police Department
- Zoological Society of San Diego
Home Depot, Imperial Beach & Otay Mesa – www.Careers.homedopot.com/aarp
CARMAX – Kearny Mesa – www.carmax.com
SD UNIFIED SCHOOL DIST. – www.dsndi.net
General Dynamics NASSCO – www.nassco.com
General Atomics – www.ga.com
JP Morgan Chase – www.jpmorganchase.com/careers
Med Insurance Coding/Billing, Concorde – www.concorde4me.com
Promise Hospital, SD – www.promisesandiego.com
Palomar Pomerado – www.pph.org
MedImpact – www.medimpact.com
Military Sealift Command – www.sealiftcommand.com
Volunteers of America – www.voa-swcal.org
Adecco – www.adecco.com
On Call Employee Solutions – www.oncalladmin.com
Military Spouse Corporate Career Network – www.msccn.com
Marine Corps Job Explorer – www.mcjex.net